Monday, August 2, 2010

Books I've been reading lately...

OK - well since I'm just starting this I have to catch up so I'm gonna do a quick listing of the ones I can remember of late... this is more for me than for you so feel free to not read this post!  :)  Might take me a while to actually post this one and certainly these books will not be in any particular order.

  • Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card - Science fiction - quite good - would recommend.  I call it Harry Potter in space minus the magic and instead of going by school grades you go through Ender's life from kid to adult.  Of course really only the first book is Harry Potter like but that kinda set the tone.  It's good stuff overall though - if you can handle reading about life in space, aliens, alien wars, etc.  Here is a link to learn more:  Info about Ender Series  Some day I might listen to the Shadow series mentioned but I was kinda Ender'ed out and moved on to other things.
  • Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay - this is a great book and I highly recommend it.  Sorry Sal and Bev it isn't mine to let you borrow but I bet you'd like it.  Sarah's Key on Amazon  It takes place in two time periods - modern day France and WW II France.  I learned a lot about how the Jews were treated in France at that time and it was a very moving story.  It's been a few months since I've listened to this book and it's the one of the ones that stays with me the most.
  • Picture Perfect - Jodi Picoult - kept my interest but wasn't anything special.  Sal already listened to this one and agreed it wasn't one of Jodi's best by any means.,
  • Pirate Latitudes - Michael Crichton - decent book though you have to listen/read through a lot of sea battles between pirate ships.  It kept my interest and there were parts that I really enjoyed.  Of course with my obsession with the Caribbean it was neat hearing about some of those locations from a pirate perspective.
  • Dog On It - Spencer Quinn - This is a private detective/who done it type of story however it's from a dog's perspective.  The PI in the story has a dog and it is from the dog that the story is written.  Kinda dorky but kinda fun.  The author certainly inserts very cute dog behaviors in to make it more authentic.
  • Your Heart Belongs to Me - Dean Koontz - A pretty typical Dean Koontz story though not one of his best ones.  It's about a heart transplant patient who is haunted about the transplant.  Interesting twists and turns but again not one of his best.
That sums up most of the ones as of late that I can recall.  I'm know there are a few more but I'll remember them as they make their way back to me in the rotation of audio book listeners that surround me.  Of course there are 4 books I haven't mentioned and those are the ones from Joshilyn Jackson... I think I'll write about her books in a separate post as I really like them a lot.  This post is getting long enough.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment