Tuesday, July 7, 2009

DACOF 2009

DACOF 2009

This past weekend Tali and I competed with fellow teammates from Pasco Paws at the 2009 Dog Agility Competition of Florida (DACOF). This agility competition is different than all others in that there are no “Q’s”, no individual titles to be earned, etc. It is one where you compete as a team. Three dogs from each level form a team (for a total of 9 dogs). The top 2 scores from each level count towards the team total. It’s based on time and points. Two teams represented Pasco Paws – Achieve and Believe. Tali and I were on team Achieve. This was my 2nd time running for Pasco Paws – in 2007 Mickie and I ran on team Achieve which placed 2nd overall (out of 30+ teams). This year was kind of sad not being able to run with Mickie but I was excited to give Tali a chance to run. Fortunately for us and for Pasco Paws Tali has not being doing a lot of AKC or USDAA and had no novice or open titles from those venues. Even in CPE she just finished her Level 3 standard titles a few weeks ago. All of this means that she was able to run as a novice dog at DACOF.

I wasn’t sure how Tali would do. She’s never been in an environment like that (indoors, on dirt with stadium seating and 3 rings running at one time). Well I couldn’t be prouder of my girl. She did phenomenal! She had one millisecond of spacing out in her first run and that was it. The rest of the weekend she was focused and ran clean minus a few missed weave entries (which luckily don’t count in novice). Out of her 5 runs she placed 1st in one, 2nd in one, 3rd in two and 4th in the other. Even cooler than that she won High In Level Novice 20” dog! What a shock and surprise! Even cooler was the fact that our team Achieve placed 2nd again this year and the other Pasco Paws team Believe placed 3rd! J

I find DACOF to be very enjoyable – I love the team camaraderie and the atmosphere. Who knows… maybe I could be a flyball person if only it weren’t such a loud sport!! ;)

Here are some pictures of Tali and I with our loot from the weekend…




1 comment: